Saturday, April 10, 2010

Clearing Out the Old and Decluttering the Mind

I opened and closed my storage locker for the very last time.  It was a decision that saved me close to$70 per month and I imagine that this step made me rethink the reasons why we keep old possessions.
In fact, it didn't make much sense for me to keep a few boxes in a storage locker. There were very few items there and  it seemed rather ridiculous to keep a few clothes and household items in a locker that may never see the light of day.
As a society, we tend to keep too many things --things which have no emotion and yet possessions seem to make us happy and somehow superior. The more we have, the more we tend to feel  better about ourselves. I looked around at the storage facility and wondered why so many people keep things that they no longer need, or have no room to fill in their own homes. It seemed rather wasteful and also expensive.
After four months of keeping a few boxes in the storage locker, I decided to bale out. It was a good decision because I realized that whatever was in the boxes, needed to see the light of day. It was to be used now, not in the near future. A few things, like electronics, such as old phones. I left outside for binners to pick up and resell. Other things I decided to keep in the back trunk of my vehicle for the time being while I pondered which items I would keep and which ones I would send to charity.
I looked at Simba, the cat, and realized that he always seemed happy and this animal did not own a single piece of property. He was content just being the way he is. We can learn a lot from animals.
Simplicity is a good thing and I challenge other people to do the same thing and clean-up and declutter your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment