Sunday, January 17, 2010

Singing With Gusto

I like to sing, but unfortunately, I don't feel that I am gifted with a great voice.
Fortunately, for my teacher, she doesn't care.
I recently joined a class for novice singers like myself. My teacher who is clearly talented and once worked for the Vancouver Opera society took us through a number of exercises designed to help us sing with more tone.
The group of mixed male and female students sang one song through the 90 minute course. She illustrated the fact that good singers should sing with conviction and feeling and made a good point that novice singers should try to understand what the song-writer was writing about and sing it with gusto.
And I feel that it is so true with life in general. Whether one is at work, home or in the park, it's important to really appreciate the moment and grab life and live it with gusto.
When I was in high school, I had the mindset to say to myself that even my moment as I high school student would pass, and to remember this well. To this day, I remember my teachers, my classmates and hallways, and the basic washrooms with the too-small mirrors. I remember the hair styles, the class pranks that really bugged my English teacher to tears, the good and the bad moments, the cattiness of the female students, the people in the cliques and the people like myself who were not part of the cliques.
Times go by so fast that each day is as important as gold and it should not be wasted. Now is the time to do things you always wanted to do, like take up painting or sewing. How many times have I heard people say that they don't have time for things?
There is no excuse for living life with your heart and soul in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment