Monday, December 21, 2009

Why Some Truck Drivers Are Not A Driver's Best Friend

Despite what some song writers say, Monday mornings are not exactly a fun part of the week. It is fine for people who look forward to an interesting event, like a trip to the airport to take an exciting destination, or a job interview that promises a better job and salary, plus a way out of a dead-end job. For most people, Monday's are the beginning of a long and stressful work week.


Actually, this was not my fate on this day, four days before Chrismas 2009. I was heading towards work, giving myself a good 45 minutes head start, to allow me to arrive to work early, grab a coffee and read some emails. I combed my hair, dabbed on the appropriate cost-friendly make-up, packed a microwaveable vegan lunch and set off on my way to work.


Half-way there, I stop at a light and feel a thud at my bumper. There is a huge truck right behind me; not a snow blower! The lights turn green and before I know it, the truck has started to push me all the way through the intersection, despite my horns blazing and my emergency lights on. I quckly pull over to the side of the road.


The truck is gray-white and speeds on past the intersection. I am upset, hurt, and shocked that the trucker not only crashed into me, but also wilfully pushed my car and speed away without so much of a backward glance. This driver did not have noticeable license plate, which would have allowed me to report him more accurately.


This incredible act of cowardice and total disrespect is unfortunately what good drivers like myself have to face on a more and more regular basis from people who have no right to be on the road.


And yet, it is unfortunate that I hear too often about how pedestrians are hurt, even injured by hit and run drivers. Not too long ago, I read about this lady walking her dog that was killed by a hit and run truck driver.


A few years back, I was driving on a bridge heading to work and faced a long-haul truck driver tailing me agressively close, as if to frighten me, and possibly cause an accident.


As of this writing, I am still traumatized by this recent Monday morning experience and must stress that this sounds as though I am pointing out all truck drivers as being bad. This is incorrect. I am merely recording my thoughts about my experience with this particular driver.


I do suggest that every driver come equipped with options that will give them the ability to deal with hit and run drivers. You can start with a digital camera which you can use to photograph the truck or car if it speeds away. Perhaps, on review of the photo, the camera may reveal information about the driver.


As I only got the name of the truck company, this is hardly enough information to provide to the police. Of couse, a cellphone comes in handy, so that you can call 911. Also staying calm and focused is the best way to come out of a bad situation. You are responsible for your own life and although there are bad drivers out there, one must take steps to take in the event that the driver turns into your worst nightmare: the hit and run driver.


No comments:

Post a Comment